Thursday 16 April 2009

Ian Bell wants in

On the first day of the English county championship yesterday, Ian Bell scored 84 against Somerset, including 13 fours. Ian Bell wants that 3rd place, dammit.

"I just want to get out and score as many runs as I can for Warwickshire and leave all the thinking and decisions up to the England selectors. That's the way I feel I must go about it - just enjoy my cricket as much as I can. It hurts not to be in the England team and especially when you are on tour and have to watch the other guys. To be left out of a team you have been involved with for four years hurts like hell."
Rubbish. He hasn't been performing at all. Here's a player with all the talent but none of the mental stamina to perform well, and regularly so, in cricket.

Still don't think he should be in the side.

Here's a thought for the Shermanator. Stop fucking around and prove you're worth it.

3 comments:

GoodCricketWicket said...

Amy, I agree. As I have posted on my own blog, no amount of easy runs for Warwickshire will solve Bell's problem - he can't cop it when the going gets tough.

If he had the mental toughness of Collingwood, he would be a world beater.

Amy said...

Ian Bell could be doing so much damage if he were in real form. The guy's got loads of natural talent but he fails to step up when it's needed most.

GoodCricketWicket said...

Bell always APPEARS to be in form, until the chips are down, when he regularly gets himself out by doing something stupid.

The fact that he has only ever scored a test hundred when another player has as well says it all.