Monday 13 April 2009

Flintoff and the crystal ball

Freddie reckons it's time to overcome his injury-prone body and play some cricket:

"I have missed so much cricket through injury that I don't want to miss any more."

I agree. But I also agree that the only way he will get through the IPL, Test & ODI matches against the Windies, the mammoth Ashes tour, and the World T20, is if he achieves a state of nirvana right about now. As the title of this post suggests, you don't need a crystal ball to wager that somewhere throughout this, he's going to get injured. Maybe the hip injury will fire up again, or it'll be a multitude of other problems.

I placed $50 on http://www.flintoffsinjuries.com/ betting that he'd go down at some stage throughout all this. But what can Freddie do about it, anyway? He's hot property in the game at the moment and he'll want to be getting the most out of his $1.55 million IPL contract.

"I've not played a lot of Twenty20 cricket and I'd like to play more. I'm not saying the money is not very appealing, but there's a lot more to it."

I think English players may be the only ones who still start sentences with "I've not". It's great. I want to see a return to the old British English.

"Ay'm me country's professional larrikin."

Well, see, that isn't it, but that photo warranted nothing else.

6 comments:

Som said...

Nice photo. And you could have been more generous with your wager without courting risk.

Amy said...

You're right, my life savings would have been better.

Andrew in MA said...

"the IPL, Test & ODI matches against the Windies, the mammoth Ashes tour, and the World T20". Now Amy, you forget his most important commitment on the road to injury, turning out for Lancashire on the odd grey, depressing day at Old Trafford. At least I assume he still plays for us, his photo is all over our website, I hope he's not forgotten about us up North. Seems an age since he turned out for us I grumble bitterly as I pull on my flat cap and trudge off down the road full of factories, cholera and matchstick men.

Amy said...

haha, you almost said it yourself. Apparently it's not so important a commitment. From now on, however, I will list it as his top priority.

Anonymous said...

Why only $50? American or Australian Dollars?

Amy said...

Always Australian. But that doesn't make it any better.

I'll raise it to $500. Any more than that and Freddie will go out of his way not to get hurt. He reads this blog regularly, you know.