Monday 1 June 2009

Will Mike fire?

Michael Hussey, folks. The guy who averaged 91.60 in the '07 Ashes. We kind of need him and he knows. If he were currently in form as he has been previously, we would be hearing a lot more of him, because averaging close to 100 in a series is no mean feat. There's only one other man who came close to doing it, and he hated everyone. Mike doesn't, so he's willing to offer some words on his recent form:
"Test cricket has never been easy for me."
Hello.
"I'm still really enjoying it, I'm enjoying this period as well."
Hello again. Enjoying failure, are we?
"Obviously, I've been disappointed with my recent results in Test cricket. I haven't been disappointed with my actual form."
Make him stop. Make him not look so likely to get out for a duck as soon as he comes on and then we'll talk form with Mr. Cricket.

7 comments:

Mahek said...

Why does every batsman who goes through a lean run talk like this? Dravid kept saying these same things and kept scratching around before he got out every time. Then New Zealand came calling and he scored some painstaking half centuries which if anything prevented India from winning 2-0.

Rant over.

As an aside, have you seen those goofy Mongoose bats? You should write about them.

Amy said...

I can't bring myself to, they're totally ridiculous. I do believe there was a most amusing take on the bats over at King Cricket.

Esra_Star said...

Poor Mike, it's tough when your brother in shit form is still better than you. I hope Big Mike fires for the ashes, we need him

Amy said...

Do you honestly think he will, though? I'd for him to get going, but I have my doubts about whether he'll magically regain form for the Ashes. Just wondering your opinion.

Esra_Star said...

I'd like him to but I really don't see Big Mike finding enough form to be a threat in the ashes. Which is a shame, especially as we picked the ranga instead of Roy.

Megan said...

Huss enjoyed a bit of a honeymoon when he first arrived on the scene with umpiring largesse and catches being dropped but has suffered a reality check. Will he regain his former form? Who knows? Maybe age is creeping up on him given that he started late. Aus need him to fire though in order to bring home the bacon from the Old Dart.

Amy said...

Esra, no... please. Don't remind me of McDonald.

Megan, he tends to psych himself out by overthinking situations and analysing his scores too much. If he sees a dip in his performance, he lets it get to him and that just makes it worse. Doubting yourself is one of the easiest ways to get yourself in a rut.