Friday 8 May 2009

Mumbai vs. Delhi

The question is not who will win, it's who do I want to win? Do I go with Mumbai, the relatively nice team (because I cannot put it any other way), chock full of performers who haven't exactly performed lately but who could easily do so.

Or do I go with the very literal powerhouse Delhi? They're undoubtedly an extremely strong team and every aspect of their play holds up, including their fielding although I won't mention why.

It's a tough decision. On the one hand, MI has good players who are mostly classy and not so arrogant. But Delhi has grit and passion, and spectacular shows of both bat and ball. Thinking tactically, it would be better if MI won, because that would mean Delhi could stay away from top spot a little longer. It's quite disconcerting having them up there. But really, I did once consider whether DD should be my secondary team, and I think that if we want some bloody good entertainment, it's Delhi we should go for.

Mumbai have Tendulkar, Jayasuriya, Duminy, Harbhajan, Malinga, and a good half dozen more. Most of those names aren't associated with explosions.

Delhi have Sehwag, Gambhir, AB de Villiers, Dilshan, Dirk, and hopefully Dan the Man over David Warner, although I do love the latter. Not to mention McGrath on the sidelines. Most of those names are associated with explosions. That's what we want to see in T20. Explosions of any kind, barring brain explosions, which I despise from the bottom of my heart.

So after all this, which team is it? Seeing as I'm not exactly affiliated with any IPL team through geographical location, it really is a matter of wanting certain players (and therefore their teams) to go through, as I'm sure anyone outside of India can vouch for. I mean, I'm not from Chennai, but they have a few players I'd like to see in the finals, so that's how it goes.

Meanwhile, when I weigh up the players in Mumbai against Delhi, there's no doubt about it, Delhi wins. What to do? What to do? My head says no, but my desire to watch some great players shine says yes.

Delhi it is, then. But I won't be too shattered if Mumbai win. That would be a better result anyway.

13 comments:

straight point said...

its for nothing they have kept MI and DD clashes up for so late while some have even played twice!!

this mini two match series could turn out to be gem if both play to their potential...that is no chocking...no reckless arrogance...

Esra_Star said...

Delhi do have an awesome team, even he know won't be mentioned is good. I think I'm in love with Dirk, dunno what it is about a man with a bit of mongrel in him...

By the way, I love that you downsized AB's name. Fucking hilarious for some reason!

12th Man said...

Mumbai have to win, just to make this tournament a lot more interesting. Already the presence of KKR and BRC are giving us a lot of one-sided or inconsequential games. We don't need anymore of them.

Amy said...

SP, you're right, it should definitely be a close match between the two. It's very difficult to pick a winner if they both get going during the match.

Esra, I can love Dirk to an extent before I visualise him chopping me to bits with an axe. Still great player, though. I love his fits of anger on the pitch, it scares the shit out of people.
And what downsizing of AB's name? I have no idea what you're talking about.

12th, if Mumbai win the competition is a whole lot closer with the rightful teams staying close to the top 4. But I get the feeling that for Mumbai to win there will be a failure of some sort from Delhi which gives them the edge.

Rayden said...

I would be shattered if Mumbai lose today as they just won't be able to make the semis then.

Gaurav Sethi said...

Delhi has this way, they can be your team but they're like a bunch of guys on a 9-5 shift. have my doubts if the players even spk on the field, do they need to?

Anonymous said...

Delhi of course. WIth Sachin firing. Nothing like it.

Som said...

Delhi Thugs or Mumbai mugs? Tough choice indeed.

Mahek said...

Amy must be chuffed AB didn't get the Man of the Match. Wonder what possessed the adjudicators to give it to Nehra.

BTW, Nehra cussed Karthik really loud when the keeper dropped two catches in his last over. I'll let Amy do the research on what he said.

Rayden said...

What was Tendulkar doing in that crazy over!!!!!!!!!!!! And AB really should have been the man of the match.

Amy said...

Rayden, I feel for you, dear Mumbai fan.

NC, I doubt it. They're all so good at everything. They just come on the field, win, and then go away. All in a day's work.

Mahek, Nehra slept with the adjudicators. AB is going to do the same now. And what did he say? I am very interested.

Mahek said...

You gotta do some research Amy, improve your cuss vocab and make it an international one!

Amy said...

I'm already fluent in seven different languages when it comes to swearing, and now Hindi is on my list.