Thursday 7 May 2009

Speak of the devil

While the complete destruction of Bangalore has taken place by the RR bowling attack, I was almost hoping BRC would win. Why, you ask? Because of Dravid, I answer. If you're going to leave your newborn kid at home and trot off to another country to play for a drunken tycoon (okay, for cash too) you'd think a little winning would be the perfect way to start things. But no, he's out for a duck.

Then it's up to Boucher, ROFL or Mr. Smooth to step up. The first fails, but ROFL hit a boundary off Morne (HAHAHA, watch Albie bowl better later tonight) and then gritted his teeth together and made weird facial expressions as he excitedly looked for another gap in which to hit the ball to.

The variations of how all the player's say Morne's name is hilarious. But even better is the commentators talking about him after he took the Kohli catch or some other batsman:

"Speak of the devil."

Now if you were a rational person, that would make sense. But if you're A GOD-FEARING, JESUS-LOVING GOOD HOLY CHRISTIAN then the moment you hear that sentence your life is changed forever. Out come the crucifixes and holy water. Out comes AB's favourite book.

Really, if I were going to pick a devil in the Rajasthan team, I'd say Munaf Patel. Occasionally, you see flashes of his alter ego poking through and his eyes are replaced by fiery balls of hell. It is quite hard to pick up if you're not trained in the art of identifying devils like I am.

I'm also a ninja in my spare time, but I have dabbled in Ghostbusting.

15 comments:

richie_141 said...

It's nice to see Warney hasn't lost any of his professionalism since retirement. A few matches ago he was shown sitting in the stands having a smoke (clearly South Africa doesn't have the same attitude to under-cover smoking that Australia does!!) and tonight he bummed a swig of beer from a guy in the crowd whilst fielding in the deep.

That's our Warney. Only thing absent to date is his mobile phone...

Esra_Star said...

What a legend, gotta love Warney! RCB (or the Saffas as I now call them) are rooted. Even ROFL can't save them tonight I fear...

Maithreyi said...

... Ouch. Evisceration by bat and ball.

This puts a lot more pressure on Chennai to win their game against Punjab. If and when they do, the leaders' table is going to look drastically different.

What a weird tournament we're having this year.

Esra_Star said...

Bowling Graeme is the only time I think I have ever liked Jacques Kallis. It made me laugh, but not at Jacques...which is a first.

Maithreyi said...

We have dropped M Vijay and brought in MANPREET GONY.

WHAT IN THE WORLD.

12th Man said...

This lady has been bum-watching in the IPL. She has picked the best bum from every franchise.

raj said...

Maithreyi - ha!ha! signs that you are going to lose! ha1ha!
12th Man, that was a weird post by Tishani - she was good initially to read but is running out of topics. Weirdly enough, the title is bums and she chooses people for cricketing performance. I mean, I certainly dont want to read an article about men's bums(discussions on the other sex on similar lines would be fine by me, especially if accompanied by pictures) but this one just doesnt fit in with the title. It is a weird post

raj said...

Maybe, cricinfo should have Amy write a column, if they want the "female" point of view. Much better in my opinion.

raj said...

Alright, off to watch the match. See you after Chennai are humiliated and/or defeated today :-)

Maithreyi said...

Indeed, Raj, ha!ha!111oneone

The moment I read the gist of Tishani's post, I went "Ah, Robin Uthappa!" Ah, the wonderful times I've had making fun of his impressive posterior (while secretly obsessing over it).

Maithreyi said...

WHAT IN THE WORLD.

WHAT CRAWLED INTO DHONI'S HEAD AND MADE HIM OPEN THE INNINGS WITH BADRINATH?

Leela said...

I did not watch the BRC v. RR match. Now I am glad I did not.
Soon cupcake Watson (no, I don't mean that as a compliment) will be back and RR will become an even stronger team.
Eeeps!

Amy said...

"Tishani Doshi is a writer and dancer based in Chennai."

Interesting. I am going to be very mysterious and vague about her, for no particular reason.

Also, everyone, CHENNAI WIN IN YOUR FACE. That's fun. Maybe instead of whistle podu, people should just end every sentence with "IN YOUR FACE".

12th Man said...

She is born to a Welsh mother and a Gujarati father, both having nothing to do with Chennai.

Amy said...

Ah, so she has evil Welsh blood running through her veins. I should have known.